Wednesday, May 4, 2011

4 Teens and a Pink Convertible: Making It Up as They Go Along

 The Miles Between by Mary Pearson






I just finished reading The Miles Between by Mary Pearson. I picked this up because I loved The Adoration of Jenna Fox and I saw Mary give a talk for writers at an SCBWI conference. 


My review: At first I was like, Is this going to be a quirky book about a girl who has OCD?  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I wanted to read a fun, breezy road trip adventure type of book. Des is interested in the power of coincidence, not OCD.


Once they set out on the journey, I liked the book's hint of magical realism, unexpected plot twists, and character development. I finished reading this book at Starbucks on my lunch break and I teared up a little during the climax. I was afraid I'd be late for class, but I had to finish reading!

Songs to read by: "Winding Road" by Bonnie Sommerville (from the Garden State soundtrack):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTn31jn1JZ4&feature=related

"The Dim and the Dark" by Jump, Little Children http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWN-t1KQhUw 

3 comments:

  1. This book has been on my wishlist for awhile now. Maybe I'll get around to actually buying it haha. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. I am now following you as well. Good luck with your book and welcome to the world of book blogging! :)

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog earlier, it means a lot to me that people actually read what I'm writing. Personnally I like the books better than the show, they go more into detail and I feel like the tv shows don't include a lot of the important parts.
    Even though I love the books a lot more, I still really enjoy the shows!(:
    Again thank you for reading my post and commenting:D
    lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that you should get a copy of the paperback edition. You can read 3 chapters from The Fox Inheritance at the end. That's the sequel to The Adoration of Jenna Fox.

    ReplyDelete