Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards


The Intro: This book swept me up the way 5 hours on a plane, uninterrupted reading, and great literature, truly can. I have read so many books and taken and taught many writing classes; sometimes I feel as though I am watching strings being pulled on marionettes as I read. However, that was not the case with this novel--it was writing magic. (I love this cover of the paperback edition--I love old-fashioned keys!)










The Review:  To me, this book was seamless. The setting was pristine; the shale beaches and indigo water in Lake of Dreams, can be seen and felt by the reader. The sensual descriptions of glassblowing and the artistry of stained glass kept me reading as though it were a suspense novel. The main character's uncertainty resonated with me, and I felt inspired and grateful, as I learned about the suffragette movement and early women's rights in Seneca Falls. 


Songs to Read By:  "The Scientist" by Coldplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWLpTKBFcU&ob=av2e 

No comments:

Post a Comment