Saturday, October 12, 2013

Almost French: Memoir, Comedy, Love Story



Almost French
by Sarah Turnbull

Genre: Memoir

Review: If you have any illusions about falling in love with a Frenchman and moving to Paris, this memoir will cure you. Sarah Turnbull, an Australian TV journalist, backpacked across Europe, and found love in Bucharest, Romania. She finished her trip and settled in Paris to give a relationship with Frederic a chance. 

Along the way, she learns to love meat and French cheeses and the countryside, navigate strange French friendships and dinner parties, and try to make new friends in a new culture. Her writing style is beautiful, and I love her sense of humor. 

Song to Read by: "Dance Me to the End of Love" by Madeline Peyroux

Turnbull comments on her writing in an article by the Sydney Morning Herald: ''There are two things about writing that give me a high,'' she says. ''One is the visual aspect: I see something so clearly and want to capture it and I feel fabulous when I've conveyed it - it might be just a line. And when I feel I have captured some sort of truth in a very ordinary experience. The backgrounds might be exotic but the experiences are just human, ordinary life, and I find that quite exciting.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/au-revoir-paris-20130509-2j8mu.html#ixzz2hWtiRMKV

No comments:

Post a Comment